At 03:38 PM 9/25/2002 -0700, Brad Velander wrote:
>         just discovered this minor P99SE Sp6 bug today. Exporting a database
>to ACAD R13 DWG format (have no time to check other formats), if you have
>tented vias the exported file ignores the tenting and outputs soldermask
>voids for all vias.

There has been some discussion as to whether or not this report is
"nit-picking."

As Mr. Velander wrote, this is a "minor" bug. But, if accurate, it *is* a
bug, that is, program output is not what would be expected. It is not a
major bug because most of us would not be using AutoCAD to fully represent
a PCB; the workaround may also be easy. Further, there is an export path
that would be expected to be more reliable: write the Gerber, take it into
CAMtastic, and then output DXF from CAMtastic. But I have used AutoCAD and
DXF very little, only to import board outline or other mechanical
information from a client.

As it is a bug, it should be part of any bug database. I think we would not
demand that it be given priority, there are more serious issues, but bugs
are the most damaging when they are not known. It should be quick and easy
for any of us to confirm that a program's behavior is or is related to a
known bug, otherwise we can spend a lot of time trying to figure out what
we are doing wrong....

Presumably Mr. Velander found this bug because he found it necessary to
take his data, including solder mask patterns, into AutoCAD. If he was just
playing around, testing the program behavior, then he did not waste serious
time, I'd think. But if he was trying to do real work, this bug cost him
time. How much does it have to cost before it becomes worthy of attention?

For every bug that is reported, many bite users who never get around to
reporting them. Mr. Velander should be congratulated, not criticized.