On 05:04 PM 9/10/2002 -0700, JaMi Smith said:
>Ian, Terry, and all,
>
>Actually, now that it can be shown to work with a few extra steps, maybe
>there is a real chance to ressurrect the server and patch it up to follow
>thru with the fixes to get the graphics and text on the correct layers.
>
>It would be nice to have in the arsenol of much needed tools.
>
>JaMi

The server doesn't use the same techniques, mainly it does not assume
access to the library component.  The problems with the server are at quite
a deep level and are (mostly) related to trying to make the inversion what
we termed as "deep" that is all internal layers were flipped (to preserve
the layer stack), blind-buried vias were handled correctly, rules with
region scopes were handled correctly as well.  And there were major
problems with the undo stack as well as a known bug related to the same
effect that can cause Move-Selection to behave oddly in some circumstances.

Doing a simple inversion (outer layers and not attempting to worry about
some of the finer details) is simple enough and was robust (apart from the
problems in the SDK affecting display and undo).

All of these could be fixed I am sure but after the lack of interest there
was little interest by the developers in completing the work.  If I was to
do it properly I would have to charge for it and I wouldn't want to do
that.  It may be possible to release the code under GPL and let others
complete it/offer bug fixes.

Ian