On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:47:19 -0400, Rob Young wrote:

>Plus it is far superior to P99SE!
>
>I just ran a BOM with the new simple BOM generator and it is by far the best
>BOM output in Protel yet!  In fact, I can just open the *.csv file in Excel
>and don't really have to modify anything.  In the designator column, you can
>set the cell to wrap the text and adjust your column width.  I have been
>wishing for this for years!

Well you could have downloaded my partlist generator from Protel BOM csv
files for years.

With configurable output like this sample....

Itm  Qty  References           Description
===  ===  ===================  ===========================================
  1    2  C9 C10               Capacitor ML Ceramic NPO 50v 0603, 22p, Any,
                               (FEC 722-005)

  2    6  C1 C2 C3 C5 C6 C7    Capacitor ML Ceramic X7R 50v 0805, 2n2, Any,
                               (FEC 660-607)

  3    7  C4 C8 C11 C13 C15    Capacitor ML Ceramic X7R 50v 1206, 100n,
          C16 C17              Any, (FEC 718-646)

  4    2  C12 C14              Capacitor Tant 16v TAJ-A, 1u, Any, (RS
                               262-4327)

  5    1  X1                   Crystal SMT, 12MHz, Seiko, MA506-12 (FEC
                               562-889)

  6    4  D1 D2 D3 D4          Diode Small signal SOT-23, BAS16, Any, (FEC
                               743-124)

  7    3  U2 U3 U4             IC CMOS 74HC SMT SO14, 74HC08, , Any (FEC
                               379-244)

In 98 configured as a csv editor it was a one click operation. 99 bust that
with the now deceased database storage. DXP has bust it again because the
Sch:ReportBOM process no longer exists although it could be configured to
generate some kind of workable csv file.

BOM is another example of piss-poor backward compatibility in DXP.

Components used to have 16 part fields which I and no doubt others used to
store essential BOM information. The BOM reports generated a fixed format
csv with all fields.

So import a 99SE project to DXP and to create a 99SE compatible BOM csv
requires you dick around dragging and dropping fields into the BOM
generator then manually exporting a csv file. What I find incredible is
that (as far as I can tell) the settings for the BOM generator are not
saved anywhere, not even once for the project never mind saved in a format
where they could be applied to a different project.

After a break looking at DXP again with the new SP1 and I still find myself
resisting the urge to punch the screen........

Another issue for which maybe someone knows the answer. How do you globally
add a schematic component parameter? Or come to that how you globaly edit
them - they don't appear in the inspector.

Cheers, Terry.