At 03:27 AM 12/5/2002, Hegyesi Gyula wrote:
I seem to have to repost this again and again...
And then quoted a detailed knowledge base article. I think one point deserves more attention, even though it has been mentioned: the router may fail to initialize if there are any component primitives outside the workspace. This can be tricky to find and tricky to fix.

A fast way to look for the condition is to run Reports/Board Information, and look at Board Dimensions. If there is a negative number in the (Minimum: x,y) report, you have primitives outside the workspace in the negative direction. If the board dimension report is huge, like almost 100 inches or more in either direction -- unless, of course, you really had a huge board -- you have primitives outside the workspace in the positive direction. The latter is rare, usually straying primitives are in negative space.

(they are usually created by selecting more than one primitive and then moving one of them. The other(s) will move with it. If you don't notice that the move block outline that conveniently appears is larger than your screen, you can easily end up with primitives outside the workspace. Before selecting and moving primitives, *always* unselect All unless you need to do otherwise, and in that case, be *very* careful.)

As to fixing this problem, it has been described many times on the list; I'll not repeat it unless necessary.