At 09:43 PM 12/5/2002, Sanders, Dave wrote:
Thanks to all who replied to this thread.
All the suggestions were tried, but still no joy.
Have now bit the bullet and started again.
(Why on earth couldn't the software designers be a little more informative than a cryptic "Unable to Initialize"?? )
We hope you kept the file that refused to initialize. At this point it could be very useful to have someone else try it.... Someone else may see something you overlooked. I'm willing to look at it, but *don't* send the file to anyone who has not consented to receive it. (I won't disclose the contents to anyone without permission and I won't keep a copy, again, unless permitted.)

Further, reproducible bugs are also very helpful to Altium. In this case, it's 99SE and Altium has moved on, however, so it may not be so useful as it would have been a year ago.

Or there might be something defective about your Protel install. In which case you will do all the work over again just to find the same thing. Not a happy prospect, I'd think. Likewise, the problem might be in a bad footprint of some kind; again, you would be likely to simply run into the problem again.

If it were my board, I do the old cut-down trick. Start taking things out of the file and see if the problem remains or goes away. One technique is to roughly cut the primitives in half. If the problem goes away, it was with something that was deleted, so put them back in and delete half of that restored half. Or put them back in and delete the other half. Eventually, the idea is to end up with a very simple file that still shows the problem. It does take some time, but not as much time as one might think.

And there are more details, but it's late....