In a message dated 1/6/2003 2:09:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>     I have a PCB mounted relay with a set of contacts that have the
> possibility
> of carrying 110 VAC at 0.5 amps.  Can any one tell me how to calculate the
> minimum distance that I need to keep between these traces and away from
> other traces?

I recall a mil spec from a past life that called for 10 mils at up to 30V,
and more or less scaled linearly with voltage, so you want about 50 mils
(remember that VAC is usually RMS; 110 VAC has peaks to about 160V). This is
in air; it all changes if you've got conformal coating over all conductors
(which reduces the min distance), and it increases dramatically in a vaccuum
(think "high-altitude"). So you've got to know the application as well.
Personally, I'd go no tighter than 100 mils for a garden-variety indoor type
environment. If you need some more specifics, I might be able to dig up an
old spec - but not today.

Steve Hendrix