At 03/07/2003 07:00, Harry wrote:
There is no known 'undocumented feature' that is likely to be causing your problem. More likely is some minor detail that has slipped by, or the problem is with the printer driver that you are using for the print preview - we have seen some quirky behavior with some plotters and printers.

I think (hope) that the network printer driver is messing things up - see below

When you defined the split planes, did you accidentally use a fine line width for the boundary voids?

Well, 30 mils is not exactly 'fine line' ;-)

Did you assign each split to a unique net?

Yup. From the schematic down.....

When you go to the split plane editor ( Design>Split Planes...), can you see each of the split regions? Look carefully at the properties of each split using the split plane editor.

Just did. In the upper part of the window are all the defined sub-planes, on the right layer. In the bottom part however, they appear on the wrong layer: the VCC subnets are on the GND layer and vice versa?!?!?!?
As I said, on screen in the PCB editor it looks OK....

There is a brief, but useful discussion of creating split planes on pages 595-597 in the manual at:
http://www.protel.com/resources/learningguides/protel99se/handbookp99se.pdf

Finished reading that bit in the printed manual - no help there either on this phenomenon. The only thing I did differently from the description in the manual is that I used the button in the toolbar, but I can't remember if the plane was selected as the current layer when I started.....

As an aside - there is no problem or prohibition regarding nested split planes. We've been using Protel99SE since the beta versions (as well as the earlier versions of Protel such as Tango, PFW 2.8, 3, 98, 99, etc), and we have never seen a problem with split planes in any configuration - except for the one I warned you about previously (if you have a via or pad on a plane boundary that is connected to one of the split regions, Protel will often connect it to both split regions).

I read about that one and made sure no vias or pads are in the boundary, not even those connected to other nets....

If it still has you stumped, I would be willing to take a quick look at your layout to see if I can spot the difficulty.

I may take you up on this one, but not right now (the design is still classified).
I just generated a test Gerber output for the planes and they look OK in CamTastic. This strengthens the impression that it must be the printer driver.. Although it remains weird that the GND layer print preview does show the split plane and the PWR layer does not......

Regards - Harry