Steve -

I know what it says on page 596 of the designer's guide, but you should try an experiment yourself. Define a plane as VCC, put a rectangular split VCC1 in the center of the plane, put another rectangular split VCC2 inside of that.

You will find that nesting split planes works just fine. We have done variations on that kind of nesting in several hundred designs without problems. Perhaps the designer's guide was based on some variation of Protel99 before it evolved into Protel99SE+SP6. If you should find a situation where it doesn't work - please let me know.

Regards - Harry

At 10:50 AM 7/3/03 +0100, you wrote:
03/07/2003 06:00:02, "H. Selfridge"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>As an aside - there is no problem or prohibition regarding
nested split
>planes.

Yes there is - page 596 of the manual you linked to - that picture
is an explicit ban on nesting split planes - you can wrap sausages
of planes around islands, but you can't put islands within islands.
The cleanup you have to do in the gerbers to close the sausages is
annoying and (as evidenced by my mistake last week) error
prone. I do wish Protel could just do this properly - does DXP?

Steve