At 08:46 PM 7/11/2003, you wrote:
we have had great success panelizing in Protel as i mentioned previously

Elsewhere Mr. Saputelli made it clear that he was referring to combining different boards as one possible objective.

If the board has no calculated layers, nothing that will depend on net intelligence, then combining boards in Protel could work. If, however, there are calculated layers, such as inner planes, nets become critical, and combining boards with different net lists could be problematic. If there were no duplicated reference designators and no conflict in net names and net assignments to planes, it could work. Best way to do this would be to have a single schematic for the whole panel. It would then be possible to DRC the work product.

I don't see a strong reason to do it in Protel compared to doing it in CAMtastic, but there might be one.