Steve

Interesting one.

This might not be exactly what you are looking for but for different
type of footprints you could make use of the existing mechanical layers
to create composite drawings or 'stages' in some partly automated way.

What I mean is that you can draw in the library, say a boundary box on
mech layer x and add the .designator or .comment attribute inside that
box accordingly.

An example would be this

0402 library part
Add boundary box to mech layer 5
Add .comment designator and resize so say 100N will fit inside it.
Update PCB
Now if you go to print mech layer 5 only 0402 parts will show WITH the
component values.

0805 library part
Add boundary box to mech layer 6
Add .comment designator and resize so say 100N will fit inside it.
Update PCB
Now if you go to print mech layer 6 only 0805 parts will show WITH the
component values.

SC59 PNP library part
Add boundary box to mech layer 7
Add .comment designator and resize so say 848CW will fit inside it.
Update PCB
Now if you go to print mech layer 7 only 848CW parts will show WITH the
component values.

So in print manager you can print individual layers for reference, or
transparency for overlay purpose, or make a composite drawings of all
layers.

Of course you will soon run out of layers, but it would be possible to
add say SOIC to the 0402 layer as these cannot get mixed up.

As for filtering by component value I have no ideas for now unless it is
possible in some way to only print selected parts, but never tried that,
and the selections would need to be re-done every time 'process pcb' was
done.

Best Regards

John A. Ross

RSD Communications Ltd
8 BorrowMeadow Road
Springkerse Industrial Estate
Stirling, Scotland FK7 7UW

Tel     +44 [0]1786 450572 Ext 225 (Office)
Tel     +44 [0]1786 450572 Ext 248 (Lab)
Fax     +44 [0]1786 474653
GSM     +44 [0]7831 373727

Email   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW     http://www.rsd.tv