Tim- I'm not a lawyer but common sense tells me this isn't a software license issue.

Assuming your employer is the legal licensed owner of the software, it is their right to tell you how you can use the software as long as it doesn't violate the software license and other laws.

To be absolutely "safe" you would probably need to get your employers written permission to use the software for work not related to your employer.

Mark