Tim,
        sounds like this would be a simple ethics question. Company #1 paid for the
license, should company #2 be able to receive free benefit from the use of that
license without the permission of company #1? Not ethically, one (you) would be
ethically bound to seek approval from the owner of the license to use it for the
benefit of company #2. Or for your personal benefit if you are contracting your
services to company #2 and using the licensed tool.
        If your 'employer' is contracting some work for the second company, then they
have the right to use that license for their business. In that case they are doing the
contract work and can rightly use their licensed software. At least with any common
software licenses. I am sure there are some very specialized software licenses that do
restrict how a company may use the software within their normal business.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.