> Brian, you thief!  You pirate!  How dare you design an illegal descrambler
> box!  And you had the audacity to get a patent on it!   ;-)

    Actually, my largest customers were legitimate cable companies, who
wanted to keep using their existing discontinued encoders for cheaper
channels, where they did not want to up-grade their head end, but maintain
multi-platform compatibility.  My partner and I were even investigated by
federal forces, and I we were cleared for distributing the cable boxes in
the states.

> Seriously, though, how was this different than the descramblers for cable
> TV?  I remember using a cable descrambler (a legal one) as early as 1982.
> That predates your patent quite a bit.

    Well, my unit is basically a Time-Base-Corrector, with a narrow PLL
locked to the silent time during sync & color subcarrier burst just after.
It actually doesn't care for how the signal was originally encoded.
    1982?, could you mean 1992?

------------------

> Side note:  that USB audio uber-codec you are working on, does it have
SPDIF
> in/out?  I'd like to connect it to the coax digital input on my Yamaha
> receiver.

    There is no definition in the SPDIF standard.  I can output a SACD
compliant bit stream, 24bit/chan, 192Khz + preamp control, from my digital
side, however, I doubt you will find a better analog out than my analog pod,
unless you already have a DA unit with a transformer-tube IV conversion
stage, and a 128 step passive attenuator stage.
    It will be possible to run a standard Ethernet cable from the PC digital
side unit to you living room with a DA converter side.  Note that you will
also have a HDTV picture embedded in the signal as well.

My main modules concerning mostly the video:
ftp://ftp.pages.infinit.net/bd2.jpg  93kb
They are now being stuffed, I expect to have them sometime next week.
I have 2 more audio modules, out of 6, to finish, their Gerbers will be
going out by Friday this week.

Brian Guralnick

&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6058192.WKU.&OS=PN/6058192&RS=PN/60