At 02:27 AM 9/29/2003, you wrote:
Out of interest, I tried this myself, by exporting a few selected components
to a spreadsheet, changing  a footprint (0603 to 1206) and doing an
'update'. Sure enough, it updated the 'footprint' field on the component to
1206, but it didn't actually update the physical component size to a 1206.
It remained a 0603. Is there one more step involved?

Basically, I don't think this is the way to do it. If you think about it, changing footprints is a fairly nasty process, since pads change, there can be problems with pad names, etc. Basically, you have discovered a bug. (I haven't tried it to confirm this, however). You changed the contents of the footprint field, which is all that the spreadsheet can do. It could be argued that it should be locked out of doing this, though I'm not sure I'd agree. Suffice it to say that this is not how to change actual footprints.

Instead, you change them on the schematic, or if you don't have a schematic but only a net list, you change them on the net list. Then when you load the net list, you allow Protel to update footprints. This will do it.

What you have discovered could be of assistance in the process. If you've got the schematic, this is *not* the way to do it! But if you don't, and you don't want to bother with editing the net list, you could do what you did to change the footprint names to what you want and then generate a net list from the board. Then restore the original board -- i.e., close the file without saving and reopen -- and load the net list.

Note that you can use the spreadsheet server in Schematic to change footprints and then the Update PCB process to change them on the PCB. This is more the way that Protel was designed to work.