At 06:07 PM 11/19/2003, Steve Wiseman wrote:
Sounds to me like sorting the BOM based on footprint will get the
answer as accurately as is needed for this...

I'd agree, generally. There might be an exception; perhaps a board has a huge pile of discrete SMT and through-hole devices. However:

There's a reason why Protel doesn't include such a facility, and we haven't written a utility for it. The need, if any, is likely very small.

It might be useful to get a pad report, i.e., so many surface pads, so many Multilayer pads, as I mentioned previously. An assembler who also had a BOM might get a lot more useful data out of that. In fact, a report that was a list of part types/footprints with the incidence of each and a pad count for each showing the pad type would tell you just about everything you'd need to know for estimating assembly costs. And this report would be easy to generate with Export to Spread.