> That's true, the power on surges are pretty stressful. I was thinking
about
> the heat build up from leaving it on 24/7. I suppose you could leave it on
> all night (like Brian stated with the contrast cranked) and then power
cycle
> it a few times a day.

Let some time pass during the off-state of the power cycle.  The biggest
current surge on power-up is the degaussing coil.  Most degaussing coils are
wired in series with a PTC thermistor.  This allows big current to flow
through the coil until the PTC self-heats and exhibits a higher resistance.
My Dell monitor (a.k.a. Sony circa 1996) dims the lights in my office and
makes a buzzing sound when I turn it on after a cold night.  I'm in Florida,
so I don't heat my office at night.  But, 7+ years of great usage and still
going - I wish PCs would last that long before going obsolete!

BTW, PCs in my office are like immortal rabbits - they keep multiplying and
they never die!  I've only ever retired 3 PCs - my first PC (a 286), a
Frankenstein PC, and a lemon Compaq PII.  The 286 is still in my junk pile,
and it still works.  Frankie was retired earlier this year when he couldn't
accept a RAM upgrade without exhibiting memory errors.  The Compaq was
scrapped and salvaged for the only component in it that ever worked right -
the sheet metal.

Uh-oh, nostalgia trip coming on (muST FIGHT IT, ARrrghh, can't help it,
giving in...) -  Ironically, the only thing I couldn't do with that old 286
that I can do nowadays, is surf the Internet and play MP3 files.  Back in
286 days, I could do Quattro Pro speadsheets, Pspice simulation, Orcad and
PADS designs, upload Gerbers via modem, Wordperfect, write C programs
(Borland C), do embedded development (68HC05 and x86), etc.  Do I want to go
back to those days?  No, but I do look upon them with some sense of awe that
so much could be done with so little.  Whereas the tech focus today seems to
be to do less with more.  Personally, I feel that the computer software
market is eventually going to have to get back to what worked in the
mid-late 80's and early 90's - nearly bug-free, shrink-wrapped software,
with good printed manuals, for a low price.  Free software is great but
won't work as a sustainable business model, and mega-expensive software
and/or services won't work for home and small businesses.  $300 for XP Pro,
$460 for Office XP Pro, Red Hat Enterprise Linux $730, that's expensive
stuff.  OS's should be $29 w/o manual, or $49 with printed manual.  Office
suites should be priced similarly.  Software piracy would drop to almost
zero, because having the printed manual is a good incentive not to pirate.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com