> This then reduces to the old question of how Protel treats pads with the
> same name. If you start with a fresh board, no netlist loaded, and you
> place the parts, then load the net list using Netlist load, the last
> behavior I saw was this:

IMO, the way to treat the "double-pin" scenario is to assign each of the 2
pins a unique name (or number).  This has been advocated before by others on
this list.

Imagine if you were the Protel computer program.  The user would need to
tell you in an unambiguous manner how these double pins were instantiated.
If they are given the same name, how can you tell them apart?  The only way
is if you, the program, assigns every object a unique object identifier,
which is known only internally to you, and not to the user.  Does Protel do
this?  We don't know, and since we don't have the source code, we cannot
find out.  Therefore, we must use our own unique identifier.  In Protel, the
tools available to us to do this are pin names and numbers.  So, we should
assign a unique identifier to each pin in the pin pair.

As to the old question of how Protel treats pads with the same name/number:
we don't know for sure, and cannot find out.  And anything we assume is
likely to become incorrect across versions.  So it's best to use unique pin
names/numbers.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.