There is in DXP. They have been making great strides in making things more
similar.

> But there is no Panel display of the whole schematic and
> there is no grabbing the screen with the right-mouse and
> panning that way.

There is in DXP. (at least the RH grab part) ;)

> And I'm very grateful that my Protel/hardware combination
> draws the screen quickly. I remember CADstar running on early
> PCs.... I've still got the original boxes for CADstar and
> Redlog in the closet.... Installed, used once, replaced with
> a $250 program called EasyPCB, and put away.... (That was
> about $14K worth of software at the time, the loan or gift --
> it was never clear -- of a customer who was acquired and
> disappeared; they used to sell CADstar/Redlog. And it was way
> too cumbersome to use.)

I did a RH grab pan test in DXP and 99SE the other day and DXP is faster at
filling in the new area as the pan is occuring. That's pretty cool...most
other apps are getting more and more sluggish, but they've done some pretty
nice optimizations in this area.

> When I bought Protel 98, I paid for it out of my own pocket.
> It was truly a bargain. (I was fortunate enough to have a
> friend with an un-upgraded Autotrax license, so I only paid
> about $1995; full price then was, as I recall, $3995.) Many
> of those who write for this list are similarly working for
> themselves, they have chosen to use Protel, no one is
> standing over them making them use it. If you are accustomed
> to something else, it can seem like cruel fate to be forced
> to use a new tool. But don't let yourself imagine that the
> tool is useless!

I too use Protel by choice, and I have a seat of PowerPCB sitting here that
I got for free a few years back (won it in a contest). I knew the app
already because I was forced to use it while at a company during a 3 year
stay, so I got pretty good at it, but I'd take Protel any day over PowerPCB.

Tony