> I have seen more companies release software products
> before they should have been released full of all manner of bugs.  Look
> at Microsoft.  It almost seems like they deliberately put bugs into
> their products, but I know better.  It is a market-driven economy, so
> they have to release their products ahead of their competition to
> compete in the marketplace, THEN they fix it (maybe).

Actually, Bill, what you say applies to every software company EXCEPT
Microsoft.

The PC OS market is not market-driven, it's vendor-driven.  And that vendor
is Microsoft.  That's what happens when a monopoly exists.  Before anyone
starts arguing that Microsoft is not a monopoly, consider this:

1) Microsoft was found to be a monopoly in the U.S. Dept of Justice
anti-trust case.  This is a fact.
2) There are no other 100% compatible and complete implementations of the
Windows APIs.  Thus, the only way to achieve 100% compatibility between
Windows apps and the OS, is to use Microsoft Windows OS.

I've often wondered why there are no clones of the Windows OS.  There were
clones of MS-DOS, one of which was very good (DR-DOS).  With modern software
tools (protected mode debuggers, SoftICE, disassemblers, etc.), it should
not be that difficult to reverse engineer the way Windows OS's work, write a
spec for the API, hand that spec to some clean-room programmers, who then
write a Windows OS clone.  It seems to me that someone is missing a great
market opportunity here - sell a fully functional clean-room clone of
Windows OS for $39 boxed retail.  Tell your unemployed software engineer
buddies to get hot and do it!

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.