On 04:02 PM 5/04/2004, Dom Bragge said:
I have an SMT connector with skinny pads.

I wish to change my footprint so that the pads are 3 times as long BUT
the soldermask still defines the physical pad as in the original i.e.
only a third of the new length of the pad.

Can you think of any 99SE tricky ways of doing this?

It seems to me that I might need to bluff protel with multiple co-sited
pads or something, so that I get the extra large pad without an SM
being generated for it & then maybe a smaller pad (directly on top)
which will be used to define the SM opening.

Basically yes - but instead of using multiple pads I would usually use a large copper fill with along with your smaller pad.

Then you can run the "Update free primitives from component pads" which will update the net of the fills (even though they are not free primitives) to get rid of the DRC errors that you will no doubt notice.

Ian