At 02:02 AM 4/5/2004, Dom Bragge wrote:
I have an SMT connector with skinny pads.

I wish to change my footprint so that the pads are 3 times as long BUT
the soldermask still defines the physical pad as in the original i.e.
only a third of the new length of the pad.

Can you think of any 99SE tricky ways of doing this?

What was written could be understood as a refusal of 99SE to recognize the new pad sizes, but I think that was unintentional.... Instead, I read it as a desire to define the solder mask as described, i.e., the pad is partially covered with solder mask.

This should not be difficult at all. There are a number of ways of doing it: the first one that comes to mind is to place solder mask primitives in the footprint, then define the pads as tented. Ideally, this is footprint-controlled, so the best place to make that definition is in the footprint, on the Advanced tab for the pads.

It seems to me that I might need to bluff protel with multiple co-sited
pads or something, so that I get the extra large pad without an SM
being generated for it & then maybe a smaller pad (directly on top)
which will be used to define the SM opening.

Yes, you could do this, but it is more complicated. Only if you wanted the solder mask opening to vary with the solder mask rules for the PCB would you do it. Probably not a good idea in this case.