I'm using Protel 99SE SP6. I have components on the top and bottom of my board. In one area of the bottom I would like the autorouter to be allowed to place both vias and traces as needed. In another area of the bottom, however, I would like it to be able to place vias, as needed for routing on other layers, but I don't want it to be able to place any traces. I've tried specifying NOT USED in the design rules for the bottom layer but when I do that it will not route anything anywhere. Any thoughts on this?

Ray Mitchell
Engineer, Code 2732
SPAWAR Systems Center
San Diego, CA. 92152