Some comments about this.

There really isn't a minimum copper DRC. There should be, it would not be terribly difficult. But there isn't.

The problem situation, I read the same as Ian. A track was retracted from a via so that it terminated outside the via, but in contact with the via. This is enough to satisfy DRC. Normally, a situation like this would be caught by a good fabricator, it is visible as a likely error.

As to how to design to avoid the situation, I've *never* seen this situation in Protel. I recall having it once in Tango, which, if you plotted holes, would retract track so that the holes would remain clear, thus creating a problem situation under some circumstances.

Why haven't I seen the situation? Because if you use the normal routing tools, track will always terminate at via center, you have to turn off some options that should best be left on, or make a direct edit, say, to move a via, or something like that, in order to create the situation described. For example, with proper option settings, if you pick up a via, it will carry the track end(s) with it.

I think, also, that if you lock all the tracks and run an autorouter pass, it will still rip up and reroute any situations where a track does not terminate on pad center.... That might possibly be useful if you've been designing in ways that can create this situation....