Jim Monroe wrote:

1. Is this a good strategy?

Having a second monitor is very helpful, to the point that you will have a very hard time going back to a single monitor setup.

2. Is my proposed mix of CRT and flat panel even feasible, and can the flat panel be set for a lower resolution than the CRT. If this is hardware dependant, is there anything special I should know?

There is no problem mixing CRT and flat panel. As for mixing resolutions, that really depends upon your video card. The first dual monitor setup I had was with different resolutions, under Win 2K. In that setup, the second monitor could only be 1024x768. The second setup under XP using a ten top of the line Radeon required the monitors to have identical resolution. The current setup under XP using a nVidia Quadro FX500 can have different resolutions, but since I now have two 21" monitors, I run them both at 2048x1536. The maximum resolution and whether they have to be identical or different is totally dependent upon the video card. Check your video card to make sure that it can support it.

3. I'd like to hear about multi-display configurations that work especially well (or don't work well).

Two 21" CRT both running at 2048x1536 works really well. But you need a large desk space, a large wallet and similar setup on every computer that you use seriously.

Hamid