Jim

Most definitely a wise move although be aware of the trade off on LCD panals as most
at 17" will
only support 1280x1024 so in some instances a case can be made for a second 21" @
1600x1200 plus
instead.

> 2. Is my proposed mix of CRT and flat panel even feasible,
> and can the flat panel be set for a lower resolution than the
> CRT. If this is hardware dependant, is there anything special
> I should know?

There is also a lot to be said when swapping panels between monitors of same
resolution so as not to
lose a part of the panel off screen!

Yes they can be mixed, I have used matrox cards for long and weary and never seen an
issue, first
was G100/MilleniumII up to Parhelia (2 monitor mode, don't use 3 monitor stretched).

> 3. I'd like to hear about multi-display configurations that
> work especially well (or don't work well).

Currently at home I use a Parhelia working in 2 monitor mode, and an additional nVidia
PCI card for
the third monitor all at 1280x1024 Flat panel display (2 x DVI, 1 x RGB).

I thought this would be good for a while but find this configuration slightly less
productive than
the dual 1600x1200 20" CRT. I had considered a 4th but there is no desk space left :-)

John