Ahhh, gotcha. Yes, that is a crappy display mode.

It sounds like you use the same video mode with your Parhelia that I do
with my G400 card. Matrox really has nice drivers and support pretty
much all modes possible. According to their web site, the reason they
can do the dual res. desktop thing in Win2K is that Win2K requires two
physically separate video controllers (which they have, effectively 2
cards on a chip) and they also hack the Win2K GDI kernel to provide two
virtual drivers from one physical chip (something Win98 and WinXP
support natively, but Win2K does not). They also spent a long time
writing (very) stable drivers to achieve this.

At this point in time, nVidia and ATI appear to consider Win2K extinct
and aren't about to spend any money or time writing drivers to make
their cards work this way in Win2K.

Matt