My son uses his HP ZD7000 with the internal Nvidia graphics in a dual monitor mode with 2 different resolutions and it works fine. We find dual monitors very handy.

At 02:26 PM 8/5/04 -0500, you wrote:
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:53:56 -0700, Jim Monroe wrote:
> I'm getting ready to add a second monitor for use with DXP04 running
> on Win2k.
>
> I'm hoping those with experience can guide me in the right direction.
> I'm thinking about adding a 15 or 17 inch flat panel as the secondary
> display to my 21 CRT. I thought the flat panel would be used for
> display of panels and reports while the CRT would be used for the
> editing workspace.
>
> Here are some things I'm curious sure about:
>
> 1. Is this a good strategy?
>
> 2. Is my proposed mix of CRT and flat panel even feasible, and can
> the flat panel be set for a lower resolution than the CRT. If this is
> hardware dependant, is there anything special I should know?

I run in the same configuration you're proposing: Win2K, 21" CRT, 17"
LCD, two different resolutions stretched across the Windows desktop. As
far as I know, Matrox Dualhead cards are the only ones on the market
that can pull this off. When I was looking at ATI and Nvidia cards, their tech support told me they couldn't do (and never would).

BTW, I use Matrox G400 MAX video cards and they are awesome for
dualhead CAD work. I picked several up on Ebay for a song (~$25 ea.).
The newer G450 and G550 cards will also work OK, although they actually
are slower than the G400 MAX. I wish they hadn't stopped production on
the G400 MAX cards.

> 3. I'd like to hear about multi-display configurations that work
> especially well (or don't work well).

It works great for me. I used to run a 17" CRT as the second monitor,
but I love the LCD as a secondary work area. I'd never use it for CAD,
but it's great for looking at pdf files, email, web browsing, etc.
That's personal preference though, I think LCDs are "harsh" compared to
CRTs. Then again, I work in a very subdued light environment and it has
really reduced the eye strain for me.

I think your configuration will work well -- it has for me this past
year or so.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems

Larry G. Nelson Sr. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.mchipguru.com