If my memory serves me right, there is another trick here. I beleive Protel
takes into account hidden "comment" and "designator" strings on the PCB when
it attempts to find the boundary of your design. At least this has been my
experience using Protel 99SE. The solution? If you can afford to turn on all
designators (use a global change) you should be able to then see them and
move them back into the board space and rehide them.

If you've done much work organizing which comments and designators are
hidden/shown than you won't want to do this. You could do a global select on
all components where comment and designator are hidden. Again, use a global
change to show all comments and designators and then fix the problem
component. Once complete, rehide the comments/designators that are selected.

Or, if you've got too many combinations of shown/hidden comments and
designators just copy the design (or PCB) to another name and turn on all
designators. You can then use this to determine which components are the
problem and fix them selectively in your original design/PCB.

By the sounds of it, you'll know the commands/menus to check and fix this if
this is the problem. If you need more detailed instructions let me (or the
list) know.

Darcy Davis
Design Engineer,
Dynastream Innovations, Inc.