Your symptom is exactly what is seen when a primitive, designator, note, etc. has gone off into never-never land. Often the problem is something at a negative absolute coordinate (off the bottom left corner) - Protel doesn't know what to do with negative absolutes.

Yes, you can select and copy the layout using "select inside", then paste it onto a new document. This has worked for others who have seen the problem.