Mislav Marohnić wrote:

>     - Add Prototype support for onmouseenter and onmouseleave
>

> This is definitely useful to the majority of users. We are still
> discussing if it's going to become core and in which version.
> Meanwhile, read the very insightful article by Andrew about why
> throwing the support for those events out was really a good idea (we
> had the working implementations far before the 1.6 release):
> http://andrewdupont.net/2007/11/07/pseudo-custom-events-in-prototype-16/
> (The key is revisiting the same problem with another approach, and
> finally picking the best one)

I may not completely understand Andrew's argument, but I think the big
counter argument is that most other frameworks already support these
events. And with 10 lines extra for mouseenter/mouseleave and 20 lines
extra for mousewheel, I'm not seeing the slippery slope to bloated code.
Furthermore, it seems that browsers are slowly converging on standards
compliance (although mouseenter/mouseleave has not been proposed as a
standard afaik) which will eventually simplify or remove the extra code
for these events.

- Ken