I am going to throw a couple of random thoughts about the "plugin"
issue. A plugin should imply the following:

* Javascript files.
* Test HTML pages that serve as demo pages.
* Sample CSS and images

We have been working for some time in a structure to keep components
and release them as zip files. Once it starts growing up, the
following issues should be addressed:

* Imports: there should be some mechanism to indicate the files that
you need, a la ext or dojo. Once things get really big, you will need
to leave things out. Think cookies, or date-parsing libraries.
* Imports should be resolved by client or server-side libraries. The
latest could generate a single, minified, gzipped file with all your
dependencies.

Resolving the imports on the server side is not hard, but the rest
requires a project to keep prototype plugins in one place, with an
agreed folder structure. This has requirements about permissions that
should be addressed.

These are only random thoughts. More controlled, it's what dojo does;
with more freedom, it's jQuery. It's the same development model used
by linux.