The script contacts the database through the Ajax.Request system in
Prototype. I can't find the code I posted to you, but all that part
was in there, I think. It sends a POST to the server with the type of
item that was dropped, and the server replies by first making a new
item of that type and then returning the database ID generated in the
process.

What I'd like you to do is post what you have tried on Pastie or jsbin
(if the latter, you can mock up the Ajax.Request part and see it
running, but changing the POST to GET and requesting another jsbin
page that just returns text).

I need to see what you're trying before I can suggest another route
for you to take.

Walter