Yes, that very limited case is simple. What WLQ is trying to do is
have two lists of things, be able to drag an unlimited number of
copies from the first list into the second list, and have the dropped
elements keep their place in the second list while the first list
remains exactly the same.

Dragging an element out of the first list will not reduce the number
of "template" elements in that list, each time you drag one out, it
goes back for the next time. A copy (with a new unique ID) of that
template will be inserted into the second list, where it will join the
sortable, remember where it was dropped, and so forth.

It's quite difficult to pull off when you cover all of those bases. I
do know those three lines you refer to -- but they don't cover
everything that the OP wants to do.

Walter