I took another run up this hill, and got quite a bit further than the
last time.

http://jsbin.com/itanu

This is quite a lot of extra code to overcome what Sortable believes
you mean by dragging from one list to another in the same containment
group. In order to make it possible to duplicate the same original
element into the "cloned" list over and over, I had to figure out a
way to put that dragged element back in the originals list so it could
be used again. Revert doesn't seem to work the way it does with
Draggables, and in order to show the "place" where the dragged
original would land in the cloned list, I had to turn ghosting off.

I would welcome any "pimping" this code could get, and also would love
to know how to get rid of the global variables I ended up using to
pass a message from onChange to onUpdate within one Sortable. You
would think that you could add an internal variable to the object, but
I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Walter