So just as a recap, you're looking to simulate the ctrl + mouse wheel
event such that the native processing for zoom magnification applies?

> This is a highly useful feature, I would love to add some "widgets"
> type icons (magnifier glasses with a + and -) on my site that allows
> people to rescale the document image using it. It would very intuitive
> (just click the +magnifier icon to make it bigger and visa versa).

So really you want a control on your page that increases font size?

My approach would be to design everything I want to be scalable using
the "em" unit so that everything is relative.  Set a modest em level
at the body level such that everything else is relative to this
value.  Then the control simply modifies the value for this to
propagate the zoom in/out effect.

http://pastie.org/647201

--

http://positionabsolute.net