Ok, so just glancing at the user manual, I found this:
* The signal from the USB port is output through the LINE OUT jack and the
PHONES/REC OUT jack. This signal is not output from the speakers.

So, this is presumably why you can’t hear anything when you plug in the USB.
Try the things I mentioned below and let us know how it goes :)

Best,
Rocco