Hi Francesc and all,

I echo everyone's thanks for developing and maintaining PyTables for as long as
you have.

I think that PyTables is a valuable part of the collection of scientific
computing tools for Python, so I am sure that those who need it will continue
to maintain it.  To that end, I vote for Francesc to nominate someone to place
an initial, full, clone of the PyTables(Pro) repository on GitHub as a starting
point.  Then hopefully a group of maintainers will naturally arise out of those
who have most at stake in keeping PyTables up-to-date.

Cheers,
Steven.

On 3 Jun 2011, at 10:30, Wes McKinney wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Ben Elliston <b...@air.net.au> wrote:
>> Hi Francesc,
>>
>> Like others, I am very grateful for your work on PyTables.  I think it
>> would be wrong to assume that PyTables will die without the
>> involvement of the original author.  It is too useful, and there are
>> too many people who depend on it. :-)
>>
>> With a couple of years of PyTabling ahead of me, I would of course
>> like to see PyTables supported in some way.  The beauty of free
>> software is that I am not completely stranded, and I expect I will be
>> able to fix bugs if I find them.  At the very least, I think the
>> project needs a small set of maintainers who can at least review and
>> commit bug fixes submitted by others.
>>
>> Cheers, Ben

> This is sad and happy news. Having used PyTables successfully in
> financial applications, I'm hopeful and confident that folks in the
> community will step up to continue maintaining the project. It'd be
> great to see PyTables / PyTablesPro on GitHub, joining much the rest
> of the scientific computing stack. I think a lot of people think (not
> just me) that HDF5/PyTables is an important part of the scientific
> computing puzzle.
>
> We'll have to figure out things like: how to build and distribute
> updated binaries for Windows. Christoph Gohlke is already doing this
> (for PyTables) for Win32 and Win64, so I think it's pretty doable.
>
> Best of luck in your new life chapter,
> Wes

---

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.