Hi Anthony and others,

Thanks for your interest in keeping pytables alive.  I've seen how you
really tried to push pytables in some scenarios, and I really appreciate
this :)  Some other people have expressed interest in this endeavour
too, but apparently nobody seems ready to put a lot of effort on it,
which is understandable.

Given this, perhaps the best could be to setup a governance body.  For
example, Josh Moore told me that Jenkins (a monitor for repeated jobs)
experimented something similar (i.e. the main developer stopped his
work), and the project is now being governed by a reduced body of
people.  You can see how they coordinates here:

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Governance+Meeting+Agenda

I don't know if this solution would work effectively, but it is a
possibility.

On the other hand, a decision should be taken on where the future
maintenance of the code is going to take place.  As I said before, I
plan to maintain the pytables.org site for at least a year,  so the SVN
repository in pytables.org can be used, so I can add people with commit
rights pretty easily.  Or, somebody may want to create a new fork, and
use new infrastructure (like github, gitorious, bitbucket or any other
people is comfortable with).  It is up to you.

Finally, I'll try to keep up with the messages on this list, and will
help in the transition as much as my new responsibilities would allow.

Thanks!

Francesc

A Wednesday 01 June 2011 20:25:12 Anthony Scopatz escrigué:
> Hey Francesc,
>
> I am personally saddened to see you go...
>
> I use pytables all the time and have a vested
> interest in keeping the project going.  It would
> be a major blow to loose pytables entirely
>
> I would be happy to do basic maintenance
> (bug fixes, responding to people on the list)
> but I wouldn't have a chance to do anything
> major until after my PhD is done.
>
> Probably ideal for me would be to share these
> duties with someone else who doesn't want to
> see the project end.
>
> Good luck with the new job, and all the best in
> the future!
> Be Well
> Anthony
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Francesc Alted <fal...@pytables.org>
wrote:
> > A Wednesday 01 June 2011 19:34:57 Davide Cittaro escrigué:
> > > OMG!
> > > Good luck with the new job!
> > > On my side I've just started a pytables based project and I
> > > wonder if I should stop it or not... D
> >
> > Well, until a new, committed maintainer jumps into the arena, my
> > personal advice is that you should avoid using PyTables for your
> > new project.  Sorry about this :-/
> >
> > --
> > Francesc Alted

Francesc Alted