On 30.10.19 22:22, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Oct 30, 2019, at 12:50, Matthias Klose <d...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On 30.10.19 20:26, Brett Cannon wrote:
This was discussed on https://discuss.python.org

I appreciate that you are informing the python-dev ML. However this discussion
was never announced on the ML.  I assume this is a kind of thing that makes the
ML obsolete and forces everyone into discourse.

Doko, as to the substance of PEP 602, does the annual release cadence in
October cause problems for Ubuntu?

It's around four months before the Ubuntu feature freeze [1], and six before the release in April (which every two years usually becomes a long term support release). Having a window of four months for the adoption, with new third party releases for 3.8/3.9 trickling in, might be a bit short.

The adoption of 3.8 during this time frame might be more dominated by the removal of Python2 packages [2] (3300 sources affected, 1900 still to do). And having fun with third party packages without having 2.7 and 3.8 support in the same release, with the Py2 removal having a top to bottom order for dependencies, and the 3.8 addition a bottom to top order.

We will see in 2021, how the distros will do with that work load and 3.9.

An August or September release might help, but I think it's more the shortened release cycle which has a bigger effect.

Matthias

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=py2removal;users=debian-pyt...@lists.debian.org