Denis Kotov writes:

 > Yes, C++ ABI is specific to each compiler, but it is not a problem,
 > because you will anyway recompile CPython for each compiler !!

Right, but the point is that we want few C++ compilers people really
use to get upset by Python code.  Since most changes are backward
compatible (or new compilers may have a backward compatibility option)
specifying an older standard accomplishes that goal.

 > Usually people say that C++ not fit in CPython not knowing C++,

That's not the issue.  There are plenty of people who know C++ who say
the benefits of C++ are not worth the bugs, the effort, and the plain
old churn that a rewrite in C++ (even if incremental) would require.