[Redirecting to Python Dev]

On 11/22/2013 10:25 AM, Richard Tew wrote:
On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 3:16 AM, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:
On 11/22/2013 01:00 AM, Richard Tew wrote:
Yet, suddenly, the chance that we may release a "Stackless Python
2.8", is a concern.

Because there is no CPython 2.8 to mirror, and we've said there will not be
one.

It certainly didn't help that this was presented one week before the feature
freeze deadline for 3.4 and Christian stated [1] his "2.8" release was going
to happen in one week unless we talked him out of it.

We're not talking about releasing a Python 2.8 against anyone's wishes
here.

Having "Python 2.8" in the name is going to be a PR nightmare.  Other names
have been suggested.

But how is it going to be a PR nightmare?  You and others can say it,
but is it reasonable to do so?

Apparently some of us think so. ;) There isn't supposed to be a Python 2.8. If you create one, people will find it. There are other distributions that package and present Python x.y, so it would be reasonable to think that a Stackless Python 2.8 meant a regular Python 2.8.0

No-one has ever mistaken us for Python.  We're not, and never will be
high enough in the search results.  Our web site is not, and has never
been misrepresentative in a way where people could assume it is the
proper Python web site.  In our history of releasing versions with
matching numbers, no-one has yet mistaken us.

I suspect you would find many more hits if you were the only ones to have a Python 2.8. See above for why that would be confusing.

Yet, we're told we should adopt wacky version numbers like 10, or
rename our project from Stackless Python.

Sometimes we have to do wacky stuff to avoid unnecessary confusion.

--
~Ethan~