Hi Jürgen,
thanks for the reply.

Ok, as I understood your words, I disabled ubuntugis and enabled instead:

deb http://qgis.org/ubuntugis-nightly-release trusty main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu trusty
main

But still, QGIS will not install:

bernd@bernd-TERRA-PC ~ $ sudo apt-get install qgis
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

   qgis : Depends: libgdal.so.1-1.11.2
          Depends: libgdal1h (>= 1.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libqgis-analysis2.16.0 but it is not going to be
installed
          Depends: libqgis-app2.16.0 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libqgis-core2.16.0 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libqgis-gui2.16.0 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libqgis-networkanalysis2.16.0 but it is not going to be
installed
          Depends: python-qgis (=
1:2.16.0+git20160712+1b016e4+20trusty-ubuntugis) but it is not going to be
installed
          Depends: qgis-providers (=
1:2.16.0+git20160712+1b016e4+20trusty-ubuntugis) but it is not going to be
installed

Actually, I do not intend to have something "unstable" or exotic, but simply just the same
flavour as when I use the OSGEO4W-installer on Windows.

Even after years, I can't figure out from the help pages what all the stuff means and how things have to be handled in case something doesn't work (which happens actually at each change of version, but the way to resolve this seems to be different every time).

Thankful for any hint
Bernd