> >I would be interested in the DVD, but, as I am limited to plain vanilla
> >QDOS emulation (uQLx, QLAY), because, I can't justify the outlay for
> >QPC2..... (I'm not saying that it's over-priced, but in a limited and
> >shrinking market, no selling price can be a commercial proposition, so
> >better surely to drop the price and get some new sales than leaving it
> >at a price where it costs a comparable price to complete linux distro,
> >complete with professional manuals, and 6 cds or so of applications, or
> >an oem version of Windows)
> The point is that QPC2 has represented a great deal of work on the part
> of Marcel who is still at university and has a low income. If you take
> it that the LINUX distribution and that Windows is more widespread then
> the payment you are making in respect of the work put into their
> construction is far higher. If you had a similar payment to make to
> Marcel for the time effort and dedication he has put into making QPC2
> such a superb system you would be paying a lot more.
I'm of the opinion that the respective merits of the various emulators reflect
their prices quite fairly:

1. The free ones (QLay and QLay2) are perfectly adequate. uQLx is especially so
for Linux users.

2. QPC2 is the most expensive but is the only one with all the new facilities.
No matter what the price, it won't get into much wider circulation than it
already is in a QL community where Quanta membership and QL Today readership is
in the hundreds rather than thousands.

3. QemuLator is a great mid-ground for those who want to use QDOS and get a
step up from QLay. Excellent compatibility with QDOS, can run Gold Card smsq/e
if required, surprising turn of speed, option of QemuFast.

I think the point here is that people have a choice. If you feel your needs
don't warrant purchasing QPC2 with all the latest bells and whistles, fine,
there are some pretty good free or mid priced emulators available for several
platforms.

In my case, I wanted to be able to use both Windows and SMSQ/E without having
two separate computers, QPC2 happened to fill my needs better than anything
else and I couldn't justify the cost or space requirements for a Q60. Likewise,
people who simply want to write the odd SuperBASIC program or run a QDOS
program will be quite happy with QLAY or similar I suspect.

        • ... Jeremy Taffel
          • ... Wolfgang Uhlig
            • ... SMSQ - Jochen Merz
            • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
              • ... Wolfgang Uhlig
              • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
              • ... Wolfgang Uhlig
              • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Dilwyn Jones