Part of the reason the uQLx has not been so seamless is that it supports a variety of Unix systems on a variety of CPU's. To make it seamless, a version would have to be compiled for a variety of Unix flavors, including a variety of Linux flavors (and the different install packages). The first time I tried uQLx, I had it running under IRIX on a Mips R5000 chip (not very common).

I think the best that can be hoped for is for the QL-on-a-stick for Linux would support only the x386 platform and not the other chip sets that Linux supports.

I can assist with the testing as I can get a hold of a number of Linux systems (probably all Red Hat), but I do have access to a VMware system that might have other Linux images.

Tim Swenson
Not knowing anything about Linux, I don't know if what Bryan asked for is feasible.

At the moment, with QL On A Stick you can copy the CD to a USB pen, then plug it into a PC with Windows and it will just go, no fiddling with settings etc. (unless you really want to change something!)

Can this be done with Linux systems? Is there any way of putting uQLx, QLay for Linux, or even QPC2 demo with/without WINE such that users like Bryan can just have an uQLx (or whatever) on that pen drive, then just plug it into any computer with Linux, mount the drive if necessary, and go?