On 14/02/2011 22:53, Plastic wrote:
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Phil Kett<pk...@genesis-midi.com>  wrote:

On 14/02/2011 21:23, Tony Firshman wrote:

Plastic wrote, on 14/Feb/11 20:50 | Feb14:

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Tony Firshman<t...@firshman.co.uk>
  wrote:

On 14 Feb 2011, at 20:01, Plastic<plasticu...@gmail.com>   wrote:
<snip>

Is the CR2032 man enough though?

The CR2032 is 3V 235ma, and on this card would need to be replaced

every
three years or so, which would be a simple "pop a new one in"
operation...
The 40LF220 had a lower current capacity but was designed for a long
shelf
life of ten years, hence the bulk. So yes, the CR2032 truly fits this
application.

The format is standard for battery backed clocks on PCs, but was
quite

new
in the late 80s.
I will look at current costs for getting a batch of 100 of these
tiny,
single layer PCBs made.

Couldn't the card have a battery socket so that only the battery need

be
replaced?
( ... and why are you not yet living Texas time - it is 2am (8-)#   )

That is exactly what I was describing ;) A simple adaptor card to a

CR2032

socket, and a CR2032 battery.

Ah sorry.
3 years though seems a mite short. I wonder if there is a more beefier
battery that is thin enough - or maybe a chargeable one?

There is, but it has 50% higher capacity and costs $12 instead of $0.99
at
the supermarket. I said three years as a minimum. It's quite possible
that
it would last 5-6-7 years - I'm just being very conservative. Also, the
CR2032socket in bulk is under $1, but the socket for the CR2045 is $7.80
in
bulk.

I think people will happily pay $15-20 for a 3-5 year battery change at
99p
than pay $25-$30 for an extra couple of years. Also, changing the CR2032
batteries is so easy... 15 seconds, including removing and re-inserting
the
card.

  Yes - in that case the 2032 makes sense.
It is a pity the PC has stadardised now on the low capacity
non-rechargeable.  In the old days they used a Minerva like NiCad pack that
lasted for yonks.

These NiCad packs are not good in old computers - I've seen far too many
amigas destroyed by acid from leaky rechargeables!

GC and SGC are scarce enough these days as it is - imagine how bad it would
be if they'd had a rechargeable battery on them....

Okay, I have looked at the parts, PCB design and got a couple of quotes for
PCB manufacture. As a rough guide, it looks like the retail price from a
trader would be around $20 (€14.83, £12.50) to $25 (€18.54, £15.60) if I
made 100.

Lead free, gold contacts, includes quality CR2032 battery. Requires
soldering four pins to install (or ship your card off for a nominal fee if
you're not confident to do this). You may need to change the battery out
once every 5 years or so. You can buy CR2032 batteries at your local
supermarket.

What is the interest in this part?

Dave

There is probably enough QL user interest for 30-50 batteries that I know of. Could the pins not be ready soldered, so that it is just a direct plug in replacement ?

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk