From: "Norman Dunbar" <nor...@dunbar-it.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:55 PM
To: <ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com>
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] Jan Jones

On 03/04/12 14:03, Geoff Wicks wrote:
To know the exact present copyright position we would have to have
access to the legal agreement between Jan Jones and McGraw-Hill; the
legal agreement between Jan Jones and Quanta; and any possible legal
agreements between Quanta and McGraw-Hill.

I doubt this will help much, but inside my copy, a Quanta limited edition one according to the cover, I see the following at the bottom of the "Preface to the 2nd Edition" page:

Copyright Notice
As of December 1987 all rights in this book reverted to Jan Jones. No portion of this book may be reproduced without her written permission.

On the page before that I also see this:

This QUANTA LIMITED EDITION prited in July 1989.

Copyright 1989 Quanta. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced ...... without prior written permission of QUANTA, or of the original copyright holder.

Now, given my limited legal qualifications - I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV either - but it sounds to me that we can get permission from Quanta or Jan Jones?

Nothing of this is now in dispute, but it wasn't clear when this discussion started. For example there may have been restrictions on the return of the copyright to Jan jones, and Quanta may have also had to get permission from McGraw Hill. I have a McGraw Hill copy of the book and did not know what was in the Quanta editions.

It does mean that Quanta is the best body to contact Jan Jones. They have had a business relationship with her in which royalties were paid. Intervention by other parties will only complicate matters.

We also have to be realistic that we cannot expect a quick result from Quanta for reasons that have already been stated on this list.

Best wishes,

Geoff