> And as you mention below, this makes it so you cannot change your
> catchall through qmailadmin...

Yep, though if there was a consensus on this list about an effective
mailfilter file, I think it would be easy for qmailadmin to change the
catchall and rewrite the mailfilter file.

> That's agreeable, but all the setting in qmailadmin does right now is
> turn on or off spam filtering.  It doesn't change the preferences, so
> they'd still have to use your SquirrelMail plugin for that (at least,
> for the near future).

I'm working around this by setting required_hits to 999999 if someone wants
SA disabled.  I'm not sure what the max allowable is, but this seems to get
the job done.

> So anyway, back to the original topic of why I avoided using
> .qmail-default:  It allows for a global mailfilter script that doesn't
> break functionality of qmailadmin (with regard to catchall, etc) and
> that works in all situations.

Yep, which is why I haven't previously engaged in discussion on the topic
because I knew that my current solution breaks the catchall functionality
and doesn't work in all situations.