Chris Marcellin wrote:
Hi all;

i have 2 questions if i may.
first of all, smtp-auth replaces roaming users right, well, if i understand correctly, roaming users is users who can use a MUA outside of the domain, or outside a subnet of IP's of the local domain, or basically anywhere on the net, is this correct? and smtp-auth replaces roaming users, but, it authenticates first, right? is smtp-auth built in, or do i have to configure anything, i'm using the latest version of qmailtoaster. i pretty much read every thread on this site, and i came by a link on how to set up outlook, the link is http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/email/smtpauth/outlookxp.html. but, at the end of that page, it mentions i should replace the standard smtp port to 587, does this apply to qmailtoaster as well, or was that for that particular site? and should i use a different port other than the typical smtp port. sorry for all the questions. the last question is regarding spf. i have set up my spf correctly, and i'm using the standard setting of 3, but, someone contacted me today that i know, and they told me that they sent me an email, and got a bounce telling them that it was an issue of spf. i looked in my smtp log file, and there was no mention of it. so, to make a long story short, i set my setting to 2 instead, then did a qmailctl stop, then qmailctl start, is this correct, or do i have to do restart another service or build a database?
again, sorry for all the questions at once.
Chris

SPF rejections do not presently appear in the log (this is unfortunate). I've requested to the developer of the patch that this behavior be included, but haven't heard anything back.

Forwarded messages can cause SPF to fail. I'm not real clear on why this happens, but essentially the the forwarder's domain isn't listed as an authorized sender in the originator's SPF record, so the message bounces. I don't know if this is a flaw in the spec or a bug in the implementation. Setting SPFBEHAVIOR to 1 remedies the situation. If you 'qmailctl cdb' after changing the setting, it will take effect.