From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 9:15 PM
Subject: [QUAD-L] Six Stem Cell Facts

SIX STEM CELL FACTS
The public discussion of human embryo research has too often lacked
intellectual honesty, which has only compounded the confusion of an issue of
great scientific and moral complexity, say Robert P. George professor of
jurisprudence at Princeton University and a member of the President's Council
on Bioethics and Rev. Thomas V. Berg, executive director of the Westchester
Institute for Ethics and the Human Person.

Consequently, there are certain facts on which people on either side of the
moral debate should be able to agree, say George and Berg.  For example:
There is no "ban" on human embryonic stem cell (ESC) research in the United
States; the federal government has funded such research to the tune of $130
million dollars since 2001, and the United States continues to be the
international leader in the field.
We are a long way away from therapies derived from embryonic stem cells; many
leading stem cell researchers have echoed the fact that there may be no
breakthrough any time soon.
Standard embryology texts insist that from the zygote (single-cell embryo)
stage forward there exists a new living member of the species homo sapiens that
has the active potential to develop by an internally directed process towards
maturity.

Also:
There are non-controversial alternatives worth exploring; such as the
reprogramming of ordinary somatic (body) cells, the derivation of stem cells
from amniotic fluid, and (assuming that it can be shown that the product is not
an embryo), altered nuclear transfer.
Concerns about embryo destruction are not only religious; but merely a healthy
respect for the human capacity for doing evil in pursuit of the good.
The search for cures is not the only motive behind ESC research,; many
scientists are interested only in enhancing basic scientific knowledge of such
things as cell signaling, tissue growth and early human development.

Source: Robert P. George and Thomas V. Berg, "Six Stem Cell Facts," Wall Street
Journal, March 14, 2007.

For text:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117384191108736444.html
AOL at AOL.com.