Is this the malicous parking law?

john

--- On Sat, 1/24/09, Lori Michaelson <lorilivin...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Lori Michaelson <lorilivin...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Bill targets handicapped parking violators
To: "Quadius" <quad...@gmail.com>, quad-list@eskimo.com
Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 6:58 PM

Yeah.

Anyway, someone has probably already said this but the office of motor vehicles
gives the placards (or licence plates with wheelchair insignias on them) out
like candy.  If you have white hair -- eligible!

The problem with "bills being passed" -- is whether they are actually enforced
or not.  Unfortunately usually not.

Us in Phoenix or Tucson live in a "retirement attraction city" and they are
also giving driver's licenses out to people who can barely think yet not
recognize that their reflexes are not as sharp as they used to be and therefore
cause many accidents.  The winters here are great except the population doubles
between October and May or somewhere around there!  Therefore the traffic
doubles and the stores are crowded with some folks who seem not to even know
where they are let alone get back to their car and be on the road!  Scary!

I remember when I worked for an Independent Living Center in New York state and
my supervisor would come storming in some morning saying "There ought to be a
law that revokes giving out drivers licenses past the age of xx!!!" I can't
remember now the exact age he said but I more than agree!  At a certain age,
reflexes have slowed down significantly enough that they people should not be
on the road and are a danger or hazard to others as well as to themselves.

Lori